Saturday, April 23, 2011

Another step on our gluten free journey

Gluten Free Pancake

2 cups stoneground yellow cornflour
1/2 cup rice flour
3 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
almost 2 cups buttermilk 
(start with 1 1/2 and added more to your liking)
1 cup water 
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg


Can thin out to your desired thinness
(we like ours thicker)


 In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, rice flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a medium bowl, beat the buttermilk, water, oil and egg with a fork until blended. Add to the cornmeal mixture and mix until lumps are eliminated. 
Butter your griddle and fry those puppies up!

This morning Jim found a way to keep our Saturday Morning tradition alive, despite the inability of Carly Jo to eat gluten. They had a hint of corn, but not like corn bread and the consistency was close to a real pancake but a slightly grainy, but not offensive. 
If you are going to eat them without syrup, you should add more sugar; once we added the grade a dark amber syrup, the sweetness was just right. I have put the recipe in here in case anyone wanted to try it.  
I love that my JP is on this train with me, next he wants to try chocolate chip cookies! YUM!
On a side note, both JP and I have seen noticeable signs that removing the gluten from Carly Jo's diet is working. She does her work, she can stay focused (more so than usual) and her hyperactivity has toned down. I am waiting until summer to get her into a psychologist and get her tested for learning challenges...but I am happy that we have taken the daunting (and expensive) task of removing the gluten first. It gives me peace in my heart to know I am doing what I need to for Carly Jo. Whatever else comes, I can be satisfied knowing that I am TCB on my end. 

No comments:

Post a Comment