Sunday, May 15, 2011

Project Pickering

I am so ready for summer. I don't particularly like the direction of the breeze in this house, selfishness, rudeness, and a down right unhelpful attitude..so we are going to do something about it. I am sure it is due to the neglect of a franticly studying mom who is gone every night and a clean crazed woman on the weekends. But this isn't the dream I saw when I started this mothering journey. We have a motto in this house and it has been drummed into them since they could hear...(in uterine). Helpful and Loving..and really I am seeing none of that these days and I am saddened...
I want this to be my normal

So this summer we are implementing

Project Pickering

Step 1 Dinner
How did we stop eating at the table? I am still cooking, but some how we are eating separately..that happened gradually and I am not willing to let it go. Back to the Round Table Pickerings...rally round!

Step 2 Chore Packs
This is the best idea I have ever seen and it works so well, I got it from a lady named Teri Maxwell, she wrote a book called Managers of their Homes.  Here is it is in a nutshell...the kids have little clip on nametag badges, the kind with a slot on the top that you can put paper in... you know what I mean. Well..I put 1 -5 pieces of paper in them that have chores written out, (or pictures for non readers) and every day before they start their day, they have to complete their "chore pack" and give it to me when they are done. Things like.. Make your bed.. brush your teeth.. as well as Empty the dishwasher.. or Pick up the living room.  This is a good teacher of independent responsibility and a sense of responsibility to the house. LOVE IT...

Step 3  Whine Room
Self explanatory.. one room for whining, crying and throwing a fit. a room. WITH a DOOR...BY yourself, set the timer  come out when it goes off...IF you are finished. I do not speak Whinese...

Step 4 Love Couch
I used to do this all the time and I have gotten away from it since the kids have gotten older.. I am not sure why but..I like it. When my kids fight, argue, or be hateful and nasty to each other then they can visit the "LOVE COUCH." They sit on the couch ( the one made for two) and hold hands for 5 minutes,  after 5 minutes each sister will say one special thing that they really like about the other. They can hug and say I love you and get up. OR they can stay on the couch for 5 more minutes, holding hands of course.

Step 5 Family Game Night
One night a week.. all of us..(even Taylor if she is home) will sit at the table eat a fun dinner and play games. My kids need to learn to lose and be happy for whoever beat them...this is something that has to be taught... BUY US. The same as winning and being a happy and gracious winner.

Step 6  Mom Time
This is my favorite. Field trips, swimming, reading, snuggling, math flashcard, Hooked On Phonics cooking, baking, sleeping in, walking, nature hikes, bike rides, Movies, a summer full of mommy love.

Without this.. what are we fighting for?

No comments:

Post a Comment