Thursday, May 5, 2011

Beware of the Bobble Head

It is the week before finals..I am working hard to keep my C- in algebra.. go me..right? But I had to take a moment. This is something I am going to want to document. So I am taking a break from homework to blog..

Today was a weird day.. we woke up super early but the kids kind of.. putzed around the house so we were a little rushed by the time 7:30 came around. McKenna wanted to eat school lunch, and Carly Jo said she wanted to too.. Yogurt and fruit tray for her. So I complied, and didn't pack lunches...fast forward...

I spent the morning in Jayme's Kindergarten class volunteering, on a side note.. Jayme has a WONDERFUL Kindergarten teacher. I want to take a moment to explain.. there is a certain kid in the class that seems to have some challenges, I am not sure what they are and I wouldn't even try to guess  but this child was having a particularly hard time today and wasn't being cooperative and was actually being quite disruptive. Mrs Scarlett was so patient and so kind, if she was frustrated, upset or at her wits end..I would never have known it.  She was very impressive. Kudos to you Mrs. Scarlett...don't know how you do it.

Okay anyway...Cinco de Mayo..nachos for lunch. I went next door to Carly Jo's classroom and told her she could eat  the nachos...tortilla chips, corn... right? After I said it ... I doubted myself, maybe it was a corn mix, what if it had barley or some sort of wheat blend...but too late...she was really excited - regular food. Carly Jo has been on a gluten free diet for close to a month now and the results have been undeniable, she can focus, she sits and follows directions, she can get her work done and her demeanor is.. dare I say calm..er..ish... for Carly Jo anyway. It is staggering and almost unbelievable, but it is true.

So .. fast forward a little more.. I actually didn't think about the corn chips again until we were getting the kids ready for the Kindergarten performance and everyone was crazy, par for the course anytime we have somewhere to go. In the car Carly Jo was having a hard time keeping her hands off Jayme, but nothing caught my attention. It was in the school cafeteria that I had the aha moment. The kids were running around and when I called Carly Jo to get her settled down, I couldn't get her to look at me. I got down to her level to have a quiet conversation and then it happened..her head cocked, her eyes avoided mine and she became a bobble head with a crazy grin on her face. She was not paying attention she was in a zone.  I saw some parents giving me "the look" and that is when it hit me, I hadn't seen this in a month....this was the OLD Carly Jo. By the way.. if you are one of those people that give.. "LOOKS" Get over yourself .. seriously. But I digress...
Carly Jo did great at the concert, sang and danced with the rest. She sat quietly while the other classes sang, but I could tell a couple times that she was struggling to stay focused......


There is not a doubt in my mind that Carly Jo has a sensitivity to gluten, that is the ONLY thing we have changed. It is AMAZING to me, tonight it was obvious..my mom noticed a difference, Jim noticed a difference, I wonder if anyone else did. The proof is in the head bobbing.. that is her tell.

This kid, I am telling you she is a JEWEL. I could kiss her all day...and she is going to teach me so much. First lesson is a reiteration... NO MORE ASSUMING... Sorry about that one JoJo

No comments:

Post a Comment